Monday, December 15, 2008

Recording Bands - Check This Out!

hello there.
it is good if you read this before you come to the studio straightaway for recording. i dont want to bore you, keep reading.


1. the current rate is rm40 per hour , so don't expect your material(s) to sound like something hi-definition that you listen in the charts. getting close to that direction, yes it COULD. this is what i think; no matter how good/bad our equipments are, firstly, it is down to your performance first. such as example, lately ive been hearing some bands that recorded with me comparing their materials with Bloodletting (BL). forget how i shaped the sound(s), but BL was not giving an ok-ish performance, and they performed good as a band, and they trusted me to shaped their sound. that's the difference.

2. i'm still learning, there are some areas that i still need to improve. but you can count on this, i always give my best to all my clients because in the end it's me who gonna get the name. and some stupid twats don't get it, blaming me instead of the lousy band(s). the best analogy is, just watch a good live act, and compare them 'live' with an xxx new band. you get the picture?

3. i always crave the bands bring their best guitar(s) and other equipments, so make sure they are all in good shape (i.e new strings). and err.. dont forget the cable(s).

4. in many cases the artists are the boss. so i know the limit. and if i cross it, let me know in my face. it wont do you no good to anybody if you complaint to outsiders, after all you pay the studio time. things like this could twist the story upside down, so beware with what you hear.

5. given the right time and money, i can produce your band but i need to listen the rough materials first. dont turn up during the recording day and ask me to produce. normally i would produce the band if 1.they ask me to.. 2.i like the music. i wont charge at all for this service, enough if the band can work within my timeline and budget. i would say im comfortable to produce these musics; punk rock and its sub-genre, indie, grunge, old/new school hardcore, metal.

6. it will be much much better if the band dont ask to mix the songs on the same day the recording is held. my ears need a break.

7. it is so so appreciated if you can put both the studio name and me in your cd sleeve. for my name, pls use 'AHMAD ZAHID KHALID'. frankly speaking, i'd prefer if you put at the back of the cd package. thanks.

8. if you wanna do booking, please refer to the boss (As) or me and the technical questions to me.

9. if the band want to mix somewhere else, there will be different (rates) to be charged. it depends on how long the band spends time in the studio. expect an increase for about 20-25% of the current rate. it's not a definate price. just talk to us.

10. there is a minimum of 3 hours of per recording session (one day). mixing and mastering are the different story.

11. why not take a day prior recording and talk to me? it's not that im going to charge consultant fee.

12. i'd much prefer if you send the mixed materials for mastering at somewhere else. but make sure you send at the right place, i have experienced my mixes wrecked during mastering process. it hurts a lot. but if you dont really have the budget, it's ok, ill do it.


i can be reached at;
017 5048661

www.myspace.com/ahmadzahid

No comments: